A hard water filter is a device that is used for softening of hard water. Hard water filters are also known by the name water softeners. Their primary function is to remove the impurities of the water and render them useful for both domestic and industrial purposes. Hard water filter removes the components of the hard water and replaces it with the ingredients of the filter being sodium chloride or table salt. The changed water is than released for household use. Hard water is not considered as harmful for humans. However, they come with their side effects. They not only affect the living beings but are also not suitable for mechanical equipment as they may render them useless. Hence, it is advisable that you use whole house water softener systems.
Benefits of using hard water filter
- Clean water: The primary aim of water filter is to provide clean water for consumption. Hard water filter removes the impurities of the water and makes them clean which can then be used for domestic purposes.
- Softer hair and skin: Water that is filtered and conditioned helps to smooth damaged hairs. Filtered water makes it easier for soap to form a sudsy lather. Filtered water are free of chlorine and chloramines that effect skin and hair negatively.
- Clean and fresh laundry: Water that are not filtered or hard water tend to make clothes dull and lifeless. However, clean and filtered water fill lives in clothes. It is rightly said that clean water cleans finer. Water that are free of chlorine improves the cleaning ability of water.
Types of water hardness
- Temporary hardness: Temporary hardness are ones that can be removed with the help of boiling of water or with the addition of lime. Temporary hardness is caused because of the calcium and bicarbonate ions present in the water. Boiling helps to transform bicarbonate into carbonate that precipitates the calcium carbonate from the water. The water after cooling loses its hardness to a great extent. Temporary hardness thus can be removed easily.
- Permanent hardness: Permanent hardness refers to the hardness which is unable to be removed with the boiling of water. Permanent hardness of water is caused because of the calcium and magnesium sulphates present in the water. These mineral contents become more and more soluble with the rise in temperature. Thus, use of whole house water softener is necessary as they will reduce the hard water deposits from the water.
Problems caused by hardness of water
- Hard water leads to scaling. Scaling is the precipitation of minerals in the water that forms a hard deposit in the form of limescale.
- These whitish scale reduce the lifespan of the pipes as they clog the pipes. It is difficult to remove the clogs thus, arising the need to change the pipes.
- Hard water makes a coat in the pots that ruin the water heaters.
- Hard water leads to poor performance of washing machine. Washing of clothes with hard water requires more soaps and detergents.